Here are today’s new developments:
- The Ford government announced it will alter the funding formula for long-term care construction, a move Andrea Horwath said will potentially put more public dollars into the corporations that have already failed seniors.
- The Ford government says it will require all new and newly renovated long-term care homes to have air conditioning, and establish a fund to help retrofit older homes - Andrea Horwath said private long-term care homes should not receive public money for AC, but should be forced to reinvest their massive profits.
- Changes have also been made to the guidelines around long-term care visits, which the Official Opposition has been pushing for. Horwath said guidelines should be enforced safely and consistently across homes, and that the Official Opposition continues to press the government to invest in hiring more staff.
Here are some concerns the Official Opposition is working on, and solutions we’re working on:
- To overhaul the broken long-term system, Horwath said, the government must commit to hiring more staff, raising PSW wages and giving them full-time jobs and getting the profits out of long-term care.
- The MPP for Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas, Sandy Shaw, said the government is failing businesses by not enforcing the ban on commercial evictions.