Here are today’s new developments:
- The federal government has pledged $19 billion to the provinces and territories to target areas including COVID-19 testing and contact tracing, purchasing PPE, funding for municipalities and a national sick leave plan. Ontario is expected to get $7-billion of the funds. During Ford's press conference today, he dodged a question about his having said last month that Ontario needed $23 billion in the wake of COVID-19-- the Official Opposition has been fighting for the Ford government to provide emergency funding to municipalities to avoid service cuts and raised taxes.
- Toronto mayor John Tory said it is not yet clear what the funding announcement will mean for the TTC, which is expected to have a $700-million shortfall by the end of this year.
- The Premier also avoided answering a reporter's question today about whether his government will oversee the agencies coordinating the outbreak response among migrant farm workers - mayors and public health officials have called on Ford to manage the quarantine period for incoming migrant farm workers, rather than leaving it up to employers to arrange accommodations for self-isolation, a position the Official Opposition supports.
Here are some concerns the Official Opposition is working on, and solutions we’re pushing for:
- Official Opposition Tenant Rights critic Suze Morrison said it's alarming that Doug Ford is allowing residential evictions to resume starting Aug. 1, in the middle of a pandemic.
- Official Opposition Child Care critic Doly Begum held a virtual press conference today with parents struggling due to the lack of available child care. Begum called on the Ford government to step up to support the child care sector, which faces potential closures and hiked fees.
- The MPP for Essex, Taras Natyshak, said Doug Ford is campaigning on a vanity tour of the province while the region of Windsor-Essex continues to cry for help.