Gilles Bisson MPP Timmins

Government of Ontario

COVID-19 Bulletin: June 5

Published on June 5, 2020

Here are today’s new developments: 

  • Ford said he does not support paid sick days during his press conference today, a doubling down on his government’s slashing of paid sick days for workers upon taking office – Official Opposition Leader Andrea Horwath said Ford’s refusal to support paid sick days is callous, and puts Ontarians in an unsafe position. Further, it could contribute to a second wave of the coronavirus in Ontario. 
  • Dismal job numbers in Ontario for the month of May were revealed in this month’s Statistics Canada Labour Force survey. Official Opposition critic for Economic Development and Job Creation, Catherine Fife, said Ontario remains in economic free-fall while the rest of the country begins to rebound from the shock of COVID-19. “While other provinces have stepped up to protect jobs, support businesses and ban commercial evictions, Doug Ford has sat on his hands,” Fife said.

Here are some concerns the Official Opposition is working on, and solutions we’re pushing for:

  • The Official Opposition is calling on the Ford government to take over direct management of long-term care homes operated by Sienna, a company that runs 37 long-term care homes in the province. Disturbing reports and data reveal that Sienna homes have had some of Ontario’s deadliest COVID-19 outbreaks. 
  • The Official Opposition’s critic for Northern Development, Mike Mantha, said Ford’s misleading announcement, made earlier this week, for Broadband funding in the north was a re-announcement of funding pledged in 2019 — an amount the Ford government has still only invested a fraction of. “The re-announcement shows Ford is failing to invest in broadband during the pandemic, when families need it most,” Mantha said, stressing that New Democrats have called for $1 billion to be invested in broadband, and for the government to deliver high-speed internet to rural and northern communities that need it now.